Tuesday, March 3, 2009

~Midterm Paper Topic~

The topic of my midterm paper is how today's culture of mass advertising effects the youth of today. More specifically teen girls 13-19/ young women, and what/how advertising affects them and then in return how that effects society. I will discuss how the media advertises/manipulates/ influences teen girls, the consequences of these influences impacting self esteem, body satisfaction, and eating disorders, and then how this effects society as a whole and what are some possible alternatives to alleviating this problem.

The order of my paper will begin with the intro which will state my ideas and thesis, then I will have the body of my paper with all my ideas about what the media is doing to teen girls, (how the media advertises/manipulates/ influences teen girls, the consequences of these influences impacting self esteem, body satisfaction, and eating disorders ...like i previously stated) then my last body/ going into the conclusion paragraph will be about effecting society and alternative solutions wrapping up all my ideas.

The sources I will use for my paper are a couple video documentaries, Beyond Killing us softly: the impact of media images on women/girls and The strength to resist: medias impact on women and girls, scholarly articles, experimental findings/analysis, and websites like http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/ for statistics and other findings. I want to use these items to support my point that negative influence of the media on teen girls who are very impressionable leads to decreased body satisfaction, more eating disorders, lower self esteem which effects our everyday society.

No comments:

Post a Comment